This featherweight AR-15 build, which includes several modified and homemade parts, came out to 4lbs 7.7oz with an empty aluminum ten round magazine and a red dot sight. The rifle weighs 4lbs 2.73oz when it’s naked. It has a 16″ barrel and an A1, rifle length stock. I have fired 151 rounds of lower-pressured, steel-cased .223 ammo through this gun with no malfunctions.
Below I have included a list of the key parts and their weights.
My Featherweight AR-15 Build Key Parts List
- Modified aluminum linear compensator w/crush washer = 0.84oz
- 416 stainless steel barrel = 1lbs 2.2oz
- Aim Sports Zero Hour Micro Gas Block = 0.95oz
- Homemade 8.1″ Carbon Fiber Handguard w/barrel nut, screws, shims = 7.42oz
- Homemade aluminum barrel nut = 3.88oz
- Modified true slick slide upper receiver (aluminum) = 5.32oz
- Standard M-16 Bolt Carrier Group
- FMK Firearms AR1 eXtreme lower receiver = 4.4oz
- Standard lower parts kit, except modified push button safety and S.I. takedown & pivot pins
- Modified push button safety = 0.34oz
- Strike Industries Shift Pins= 0.48oz
- Modified A2 pistol grip w/grip screw = 2.16oz
- Lightweight homemade stock system = 9.99oz
- A1 rifle buffer tube w/screw = 3.71oz
- Carbine spring and buffer weight = 4.86oz
- Rifle-to-carbine buffer spacer = 0.38oz
- 3D printed stock w/8-32 nut and screw = 1.01oz
Below, are links in which you can download the .ZIP files associated with certain parts. You will need to extract them in order to open them up in your program of choice. Feel free to modify them or share them with others. And one more thing, anything that was meant to be 3D printed may need to have it’s dimensions changed in order to print correctly. Dimensions may vary depending on what 3D printer you are using.
Thanks for reading this article. I put time into making sure that it was well constructed. If you have any questions, comments, or criticisms then do not hesitate to post them down below. I will try to answer any questions as soon as I can.
If you enjoy my articles, wish to see more content of its kind, and you are wanting to buy the product mentioned in this article then please click the link(s) below to be directed to a website to purchase it. Using these links will not add any extra costs to the purchase. It merely tells the selected merchant site that ArmThyselves.com directed you to them which will ultimately grant me a small kickback for my efforts.